- The melting Ice Caps make it more difficult for Polar Bears to Hunt and survive.
- The Hudson Bay Polar Bear population is down more than 20 percent.
- the polar bear’s future is still very much in jeopardy.
- Antarctica and Greenland are now contributing three times as much ice to sea levels as they were 20 years age
- together, Greenland and Antarctica contain about 75% of the world’s fresh water, enough to raise sea level by over 75 meters
- 11 of 18 penguin species are declining and considered an extinction risk
- The whole world emits 4.49 tons per person
- 8.35 tons per person in the UK
- Without human intervention, most polar bear populations will be extinct in 30-40 years (Castro de la Guardia 2013, Stirling 2012)).
- Most predictions say the warming of the planet will continue and likely will accelerate. Oceans will likely continue to rise as well, but predicting the amount is an inexact science. A recent study says we can expect the oceans to rise between 2.5 and 6.5 feet (0.8 and 2 meters) by 2100, enough to swamp many of the cities along the U.S. East Coast. More dire estimates, including a complete meltdown of the Greenland ice sheet, push sea level rise to 23 feet (7 meters), enough to submerge London.
This information is important because it shows some of the effects that climate change has had on some species and what effect climate change will have on the rest of the world if we simply just leave it alone to get worse and worse. It also has a lot of facts and key information that a can use in my final piece.
But it links into my work because it’s all about the effects and future outcomes of global warming and my work is all about pollution that is emmitted from our cars over short journeys and what effects this pollution has on the economy our health and the environment.
Now I’d interpret this information through a series of still pieces with/or an animation which will show the environment that the fact is relating to and I’d show by changing the scene to what it will look like if we keep polluting according to the piece of information.