For this project we were given the opportunity to work within our specialties to create an imaginative piece of work that will be exhibited within Kendal Museum and the Kendal College of learning Resource Center. We were given six weeks to work on this project and we were working towards unit 12 “Engaging with an audience in Art and Design”.

During this project I worked on my graphic design skills, so mostly  involving Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I also learned and developed my understanding on screen printing which I used for my final piece. During the project I also researched and based a few designs off of artists that I researched. I looked at various different artists that were part of the Constructivism Art Movement that originated in Soviet Russia such as Alexander Rodchenko and the Stenberg brothers (Georgii and Vladimi Stenberg). It was these posters from the movement that I based my initial ideas off, such as the colors, shapes and layout. For my modern day icon I chose to do Freddie Mercury because out of all the people that were selected through the survey he was one of the people that was voted significantly and he was may favorite person out of the group of people that were voted.

I was involved in a few workshops, in these workshops I learned about screen printing, a new style based on the artists called Craig and Karl and a workshop where we designed logos, posters and social media content. The screen printing workshop was good because I had never screen printed before so it was good to learn how to create work using this media. The Craig and Karl workshop was useful because it helped me understand how to use illustrator and Photoshop significantly. The latest workshop was important because it gave me a rough idea of how to work as a team within graphic design which wasn’t useful for this project but could become useful in the future.

The initial Idea developed into my final piece which was interesting. I came up with the initial idea during a time trial activity that we did. For this specific trial we were given 20 minutes to create a piece and I made the piece that is the image below. The image was based off the image which is below it which was a piece of work that was created as part of the Constructivism art movement. As I developed my ideas I asked for feedback about minor and major parts of the pieces, whether that was if a certain object should be a certain color or whether they prefer one piece of work from a completely different piece of work. In the end though, all the feedback was useful as i made key adjustments which completely changed pieces. The third image below is the initial design after I spent a small amount of time on it to see whether my idea could become something good. Another design which I considered was the design that can be seen in the fourth image below but i scrapped the idea as I liked my initial design the most.FMI 2russian_constructivism_by_justunoUntitled 88345345


To create all the work I made during this project I used, paints and the screen prints, I also used Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I created a few test pieces which experimented different styles of Constructivism. With these test pieces I experimented with different colors, shapes, different density’s when i came to the sun burst effect and other things. I From doing this I learned which color palates looked better then the others and which shapes and lines looked better with different thicknesses and composition. I had a few problems when it came to creating my second test piece which is the image above because nothing seemed to look good including the text, composition, and colors. After trying various different compositions I decided to revert back to my original design and work on that instead.

My final piece is the image below and I’m really happy with the outcome. I like the way the colors work and compliment each other, the composition of all the layers, the texture that I used and the text. The colors look good to me because the red and light orange color are two colors that tend to work very well together and the black sections make the colored sections look bolder and vise versa. The composition of the layers is one of the things that I like the most because there isn’t a section that isn’t too busy and all the layers by themselves are pretty simplistic but they come together to make an interesting piece.

I represented Freddie Mercury as who he is by creating a scene where he’s performing and the crowd is dancing, cheering, raving etc, but I was basing my design around the style of Constructivism and some of the artists work within that movement. At first I though it’d be hard to mix the two together but it was actually relatively easy. I simple used a color palate which was common in the movement and a blocky style similar to some of the work that I had seen by Alexander Rodchenko and Kazimir Malevich. Overall I’m happy with the final outcome but there is an improvement that I’d like too make which I wanted to make at the time but there wasn’t enough time to do it. I wanted to redo the screen print with more detail but with the black ink by using a bigger image when creating stencils so I can the detail that I want.

By the end of the project I had learned a lot more then I’d thought I would. I learned how to use Photoshop and Illustrator more effectively and how to screen print but there is a lot more room for improvement when it comes to screen printing. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this project.




Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s