Today we were asked to come up with a way to create some form of mechanism to open up a package, but first we all came up with different ways to open up a package and collected all these ideas onto a mind-map. I chose to do a folding mechanism which I wish I hadn’t picked now because it was way to simple and a bit hared to come up with interesting ideas with it. But I did find the process very helpful because it made me realize that there are so many more different ways to create the package for the fruit that we were given. I really liked a lot of the ideas that were came up with for the mind map especially the buttons and clips idea along with peeling open the package or ripping it open so I intend to use some of these methods for my final product design.
We were first given a large amount of different materials that we were asked to go through and get inspiration and ideas from them, and then to mess around with them to create moquettes for different types of lids for the product. I picked up mostly materials that could be folded or were already folded so I could then use them to demonstrate what my first ideas were .I used mostly paper for my moquettes because it was easy to fold and to adapt it into the way I needed it to but it was really flimsy so I needed to used card and cardboard for designs that needed sturdier materials. Initially I wanted to create a flat lid that folded backwards then they all neatly grouped together. After that I looked more closely at some of the materials and chose to replicate them in a way. I created a tube out of cardboard and then used a cardboard design to create a zigzag center to make it more cushioned for the fruit that would’ve been there if it was an actual design. Overall I wasn’t happy with the moquettes I made because they just didn’t seem interesting or experimentive enough but I do like the idea of creating a tube for multiple plums to go into so they stack on top of each other.