In this workshop we experimented with watercolors. First we tested different strokes and painting methods with a brush, we also tried using different amounts of water and used the water to create dripping or bleeding effects. Firs, we were given a strip of paper to test the different methods which is what the first image below is of. This water colour test strip mostly consisted of blue and green colours but the colours are faded and washed making them look boring and cold but the lines mostly had a flow to them which to me made them look like a stream or a body of water. Overall it was a good sample piece because it helped get used to the water colours and how they react to different amounts of water and pressure.
The sample piece below was another test piece but this time we used masking tape and a white substance (can’t remember the name). With the masking tape, we’d put it on the paper and then paint as usual. After we were done painting we’d then remove it to see how the empty space would contrast against the paints. With the substance, we’d leave it to dry and then paint over it. Once we had finished painting we’d again peel or rub the substance away to create an effect. The tape left a nice sharp and smooth line against the paint as if it was containing the colours it, while the white substance was a bit boring because it didn’t really change anything but it did create a texture which was a little bit rough but it was very sticky and resilient.
For the sample piece below we were told to use the different colours and techniques to create a bigger water colour painting (A4). I laid down a base layer of green at the bottom of the page and blue at the top of the page to try and represent rolling hills which did work, but it was dull. To liven it up a bit I integrated the different colours that i had access to at that moment, into the painting, so I used the orange and the red on the sky which turned out good in my opinion as it kind of looked like the starting of a sunset. I also used blue on the hills along side a yellow colour at the very bottom of the page to make the quite dark hills a bit more brighter. After I had done painting, we were given fine liners which I used a bit on the sky section which I thought made the sky look a lot more abstract and geometric which I really liked the look of.
For the sample below we were asked to create another sample piece by creating a view finder, and then placing it on the previous sample to find a section that we would then paint on a new piece of paper. but once we were done painting we were then given a fine liner to then use on the sample however we wanted. I, and almost everybody else, went over all the edges of all the different shades and colours to create an outline effect which I really liked the look of because it made all the different segments stand out and it really showed how much the shades and colours changed. The lines were very thin from the fine liner so they didn’t dominate the page, at least not for my sample piece.
This final sample was done in the same way as the previous sample which was by using the view finder to find a section to paint, but this time we had to try and create the opposite emotions that the previous sample made. So the colours in the view finder we very bright and vibrant which were happy and positive emotions so instead I had to use very depressing and cold colours in the sample below. I then quickly went of the main segments borders in a fine liner to create a bigger feel of separation.
Overall I really liked this workshop because I haven’t got much experience with water colours, and after this workshop I felt that I could comfortably use them in future projects and work.